Monday, May 18, 2009

Earthquaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

I always wondered where I'd be during my first earthquake. When I moved to LA, I inspected my new apartment to keep tabs on any pictures, frames, or vases that could possibly fall and hurt Dignan. I pictured it happening in the middle of the night, waking me up with confusion and fear.

I openly hoped it'd be a little one, so I would know that my dog would be safe.
I secretly hoped it'd be a big one, so people would get scared, leave California, and I could buy a house in Los Feliz immediately after for dirt cheap.

Yesterday, I was at my friend Juliet's house after we got back from a super fun barbeque in Venice. We were watching a rerun of Top Model and reading one of those books that tells you about the type of person you are based on your birthday (I'm a "nonconformist").

All of a sudden, the window started to shake. At first, I thought a garbage truck was driving by. My friend jumped up and yelled, "Oh my God!" I thought maybe she had dropped her phone, or realized that she had forgotten to mail her rent check. But, by the time she said "Oh My God" again the sound had gotten really loud, and I realized "THAT IS NOT A GARBAGE TRUCK. HOLY SHIT. THIS IS A FUCKING EARTHQUAKE."

What was funny was how Juliet and I reacted in the same way. We both kept saying "Oh My God" as we slowly walked towards each other, clasped hands, walked to a doorway, and sat on the floor. All the while looking at each other, half freaking out, and half laughing.

I was so glad I was with a friend at that moment. It was a straight up 5.0. Not devastating at all, but substantial enough for a first timer. And honestly, kind of fun.

Wowsers. Welcome to LA!

Tell me about your first time....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make a long story short...I shouldn't have ignored the man hands.

Wait a min-...

Marc said...

December, 2003, I was in Richmond, Virginia I was on the 6th Floor of an office building when I felt the building begin to move. At the same time I heard what sounded like a train nearby.

I never knew that earthquakes had a sound but darn if it didn't.

Holy Crap, I'm 2500 miles from the San Andreas Fault, who knew....

boboroshi said...

1981-ish. THe 4 year old me with my mom, sister, an labrador in Cypress, CA... all i remember is getting grabbed and pulled into a doorway by mom. And then it was over.

Vin. Tage.

David Mack said...

I was laying on the couch, one day removed from major surgery, all hopped up on goofballs when the wall began to move. At first I thought I was hallucinating... but then things started falling off shelves. That was June of '05. I also remember picture frames rattling against the wall so fast, it sounded like a gang of bees were coming for me.

Edward Stratton III said...

October 17th 1989. I was 10 years old and overweight. I clearly remember I was patching a flat tire on my bike. I went inside to get a wrench and my mom was making tacos. The scent of my mothers tacos filled me with glee and out of nowhere I felt like I was surfing (note: i've never surfed before but it's the only way i can describe it). My mom freaked out, my sister freaked out, and I was 10 and was acting like I was surfing (no really). It lasted like 10-15 seconds which is rather long considering it was like 7.0. Anyway, my bike was fixed that day, I ate 4 tacos, and the World Series game was cancelled. That day will forever be tattooed on my brain. ~FIN~

Mariah said...

I've lived in Santa Monica all my life. I was scared to death during the 1994 Earthquake and we had to evacuate. Somehow--all the scariness is fun ;)

Whoever said...

Born and raised in Northridge. Lost everything. moved to NY during the rebuild. Saw bill Clinton standing on a street that was on fire from a gas line below. They let it run for days until he showed, right after he left they magically got the fire out...hmmm... I have seen all the EQ's in my short 33 years, nothing compared to what that one did...nothin. Alison,.....smoking hot