Thursday, April 9, 2009

Life

As I wrote below, a few days ago, a darling little girl passed away.

I still can't quite wrap my head around this. I've been walking around in a daze, alternating between tears and disbelief.

And after I think about the devastation of losing such a perfect little person like Maddie, I wonder how her parents could ever possibly live life again.

But then I realize that they will because that is who they are.

It won't happen this month, or maybe even this year. But they will smile and laugh again one day, and they will carry on because they are two of the most amazing people I've ever met.

But what pisses me off is that one day, they'll be at the grocery store, or in line at the movies, and maybe they'll be taking a little too long because they can't find their wallet. And maybe some douchebag in line behind them will say, "Can you hurry the fuck up?"

And if I were an omniscient being watching that from above, I would want to take that douchebag in line, grab him by his throat, and hurl him up against the wall. And I would get right up in his face and say, "Those people lost their little girl. THEY LOST THEIR LITTLE GIRL. So, while you're waiting an extra 2 seconds for your goddamn Sour Patch Kids, I want you to just TRY and imagine what it would be like to create a perfect little girl that you love more than life itself, and then lose her. Just TRY to imagine that."

My point is, Heather and Mike are the two people that I know who are going through the worst tragedy one could imagine. And there are other people out there who have dealt with similar tragedies. But we might not know this when we come across them in our daily lives. When they take too long in the check out line, when they grab the last towel at the gym, or when they accidentally spill a coffee on your shoe.

So the next time we find ourselves too eager to be the douchebag, we might want to consider the fact that we have no idea where other people are coming from.

3 comments:

Cousin IT said...

My heart goes out to Mike and Heather. I agree with you so much.

Andrew McGuinness said...

you may not even know where the douchebag behind you in line is coming from. maybe he just lost somebody and doesn't know what to do with his anger, so he lashes out inappropriately, but not intentionally.

albex said...

He's coming from Douchebagville.