Thursday, April 2, 2009

Californdomestication

Moving from New York City to LA opens up a whole new world of domestic pleasures...and challenges.

New Yorkers do not drive cars. We do not make massive grocery store trips. We do not tend to cook much at home (except for pasta and tacos - two things that even an idiot can prepare).

In New York, it's about efficiency, speed and convenience. In LA, it's about taking your time.

In changing my way of thinking, I have experienced many moments of frustration and exasperation. I have also, however, felt like a grown up for the first time. That's probably because I have found myself doing things that I last experienced when I saw my parents do them.

For example, unloading groceries from a car, waking up to the smell of fresh-cut grass, loading a dishwasher, unloading a dishwasher, doing laundry in my own home, buying produce, etc.

But, at the same time, I often find myself in embarrassing situations. You see, as a New Yorker, you may not learn simple things that a young suburban person might.

I struggled with the coffee grinding machine at Ralph's today for a good 20 minutes. I didn't want to ask for help, for fear that a 14 year old would laugh at me.

So now, I'm drinking a cup of coffee that I'm pretty sure could be a hell of a lot better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, "buying produce". This is pretty funny. Is this really this ladies blog? no way. I jus saw her on VH1.


Grown up stuff is for grownups. "can's this wait till i'm old, can i live while i'm young?"

Anonymous said...

We all know you secretly want to move to Pittsburgh.