Saturday, December 6, 2008

Be Nice

Two weeks ago, my friend's mother passed away. He misses her.
He left me a message that said, "Every once in awhile, be nicer to your mother than you'd like to be."

That same week, I had a little health scare. It was the worse pain I've ever felt. I'm ok now, but it was frightening, distressing, and a gender-specific ailment that no man will ever have to feel.

Here's the deal: people go through a lot. But women go through even more. And all the while, we're expected to smile and look pretty. It's just not fair, and women aren't appreciated enough.

So, dudes...
Do something nice today for your mom,
Don't neglect your girlfriend,
Tell your sister you love her,
Remind your wife that she's beautiful, or
Give a woman your seat on the subway....because she worked just as hard as you, but she's wearing heels.

Girls, remember to support your fellow ladies.

Women put up with a lot of crap. It's time to appreciate it a little more.

Besides, if you tell us we're pretty, you might get a BJ tonight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to say I did that last night before reading this. I went and saw my Mom after work because she's been having a rough week. We cried a together a lot at the beginning but then by the time I left we were laughing and smiling. Thanks for the post.

ajgentile said...

I send mom flowers on MY birthday. Makes her cry. Every. Single. Time.

Glad you're doing ok, Becker.

RAINNMaker Donnie said...

Your post just made me cry...I used to have beautiful women in my life...Mom, Sis, Gramma, lady friend...I have lost them all in the last few months in different ways...It's disappointing, and I don't think I realized how disappointing until I read your blog. Like the fellow below, I was the flower guy, the card guy, the teddy bear guy, and I loved it, I enjoyed, it's so amazing to watch faces light up and "hear" smiles over the phone. Some of my most special moments in my life were hearing "those" smiles while I was in Baghdad and it would make their (the women in my life) day. Guys? We can talk sports and make each other laugh and smile...With women, especially special women, everyday it's important to express how important they are...Everyday. You never know when they may be gone...I miss it...

Now...

I feel like an idiot because you are beautiful and funny, and I thought ESPN had found a hidden gem...Why an idiot, because I work at a hospital Friday nights and at 3am, VH1's Top 20 comes on, and unless I'm being called into a patients room, I watch, not for the videos as those become just background noise, but I'm always intrigued with the host and turn around and watch when she's on...Yup...I'm the smartest dumb person I know...

So short story long, I love your work, I'm glad you're better, I understand but don't understand female issues, and you...you are beautiful...(Not looking for a BJ) lol...

Take Care,
D.

Anonymous said...

Guys have it so easy

erikbutrick said...

broads don't belong in BROADcasting..........

erikbutrick said...

R.I.P. sunny

guy from the audience said...

we all think you're pretty.